Volleyball is a game which not many people watch, but the moment they start, they never seem to stop. To be able to enjoy the game, it is essential that you know the rules.
When first learning how to play volleyball, you need to understand the object of the game. The object of the game is to beat your opponents to a predetermined number of points.
In the old days, volleyball was played to 15 points and a point is scored only when the serving team wins the rally.
Today, rally scoring is primarily used which means a point is scored as a result of each play. Most volleyball games today are rally scoring and played to 25 points.
To win the game, you must score more points than your opponent and be leading by at least 2.
After knowing how the scoring is kept, it is important to know how the players play. If you want to be a volleyball player, there are certain things you should know. One of the main things is that you always have time even though it seems like you don’t.
- Practice like you want to play.
- When you’re playing defense or approaching to hit, remember that you have more time than you think.
- Turn off your cell phone when you play.
- Forget the last play and get ready for the next.
- Know the name of the sport’s founder, including his middle initial: William G. Morgan.
- Serve the front court passer.
- Know where the sidelines are.
- Make sure you own any ball you kick in frustration.
- Stay positive if you shank a pass into the bleachers. But don’t giggle.
- Never tip a bad set.
- Keep you love for the sport by not over-training.
- Never make the same mistake twice.
- When playing coed, use total discretion when choosing teams.
- Keep your eyes open at all times.
- Don’t act surprised when you roof somebody.
Apart from the playing rules there are unwritten rules concerning other things. For instance the hair. Your hair should be tied up tight. You also better know your position so that you and your teammates can play well.
When you are about to Put your hair into a ponytail or a french braid. It needs to be tight though so it won’t fall out or anything. Make sure to keep your bangs off your face, but make sure to check with your league if you can wear hair clips. Most leagues let you have hair pins but only 2 or less. See if sweatbands are allowed; these are great to keep the hair that wouldn’t go in your ponytail out of your face.
Volleyball positions determine what your role is out on the court during a game. Each player has a specific job to do and each position works with the teammates to make the best play possible. Below find the role of each position defined, a list of things you should do if you’re playing that position and a list of attributes you need in each spot.
Even though the whole team rotates, there is some positions you should know about:
Sourced from: https://everythingaboutvolleyball.wordpress.com/